How to cut FELT with Your Silhouette

Yes, you read that right, you CAN cut felt with your Silhouette!  Before you get too excited, there are a few things I must tell you.  First, this method will mess up your mat a bit faster than “normal” cutting would; second, you have to iron fusible webbing onto the back that will not come off; and last, sometimes it doesn’t work, sometimes it does.  All of that being said, using my Cameo to cut felt saves me a TON of time so it’s all worth it!

I just joined a Silhouette-user Facebook group that Lauren from The Thinking Closet runs.  Email her if you want to join!  I was telling the girls about how to cut felt, and they convinced me to make a tutorial.  One of them commented that she couldn’t wait to see the video.  What?  I’ve never made a video… good idea!  I decided to make my first EVER YouTube video to show you everything you need to know (and probably more) about cutting felt with your Silhouette!  Check it out if you own or want to own a Silhouette or if you just want to find out what my voice sounds like. :)  Just please resist the urge to count how many times I say “um.”

Don’t want to watch the video?  Here’s the rundown since I forgot to take photos along the way:

-I have cut both acrylic (craft store) and wool blend felt on my Cameo.  Both worked, but the wool blend definitely had better results.  The acrylic looses detail around the edges where the wool blend doesn’t.  You can check out my post about different kinds of felt here.

-First thing you need to do is iron fusible interfacing onto the back of your felt.  I use Wonder Under (Pellon 805).  Peel the paper backing off and place with Wonder Under down on the mat.

-Set your fabric blade to 10, depth to 33, speed to 3, and check the double cut box.  Using such a high blade depth is what can jack up your mat, also I’ve noticed that sometimes the webbing leaves residue on the mat.

Hopefully that helps someone.  I actually bought the machine to cut things out of felt not knowing if it really would, and I am so glad that I did!  I can tell you that I have successfully cut a ton of felt with it without any problems.  Saves me so much time!  Check out my etsy shop to see what I did with the felt in the video.

Make sure to check out part two of this post where I show how different kinds of felt cut.
And go take a look at this post from my friend Kristy at Please Excuse My Craftermath where she tests out what the new Cricut Explore can cut.  I’m very interested in this machine!
Cricut Cutting

Cutesy Crafts is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.  This post contains affiliate links.

Share it!Email this to someoneShare on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on StumbleUpon

39 Responses to How to cut FELT with Your Silhouette

1. Holy awesomeness, Batman! This is even cooler than I imagined. Thank you so much for venturing into uncharted waters and making a video. As a visual person who loves seeing a project in action, this helped a TON. Off to tell my friend about it who asked if the Cameo could cut felt. Also, pinning this to share with my Silhouette board followers!

Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

2. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

3. Robin Buster says:

Oh the things that I could do if I had a silhouette. I should be saying this to my husband! Thanks for stopping by and linking up to Fluster Buster’s Creative Muster Party! Looking forward to seeing what you’re going to link up next week.

Robin @ Fluster Buster

4. Leah S says:

I searched for how to do this and couldn’t find it anywhere! Pinned for later! Thanks so much!! Found you at the On Display Monday Link Party. I am now following you! http://www.leahinspired.com

5. Vanessa says:

You’re awesome, Jessica!! I’m also a member of Lauren’s Silhouette Challenge but I actually found this tutorial through google. Thank you so much for this great tutorial!

6. Amber Holder says:

Great tutorial! I love making things with felt but cutting circles and alphabets drives me nuts. Even if I go though a lot more mats it will still be cheaper than investing in a bunch of dies for a manual machine.

Best crafty wishes!
    Amber
    Staying Crafty

7. hello jessica, i saw your video tutorial and thats very interesting because i have a plan to buy silhouette machine to cut my felt. i just wanna ask do the pellon change felt to smooth texture, not stringy? and the parts that attach to the mat will be smooth? because we know that felt texture is stringy

8. Thanks for the great video. You did a great job for your first time! I was bummed that my new Silhouette couldn’t cut felt, but now that I see that it can, I’m totally going to do it. Appliqueing felt is one of my favorite things and doing it by hand is so tedious. I need to get a fabric blade though, I don’t have one of those yet.

9. Joy A says:

hi Jessica, just got a quick question.. what is the thickness of your felt? i’m looking at a 1mm or 3mm, what do you suggest??

10. Lorie K says:

Jessica, thank you so much for this tutorial! I am a more visual person as I was a little nervous about cutting felt. Do you recommend the 20% wool/80% rayon or the 35/65?

11. Thanks for posting this. I have seen it mentioned several times to not cut felt as Silhouette people said it voids your warranty. No clue where. I really want to try this though as I want to use it to cut out felt clippie embroidery designs.
    Great video! Thank you!

12. megan says:

Thanks for this post!! I had heard that the Silhouette can’t cut felt so it was nice to actually see how well it does cut it.

13. I have a question! Is the Wonder Under used just so you can easily applique the felt after you have cut it, or do you use it as a barrier to prevent the little fibers from the felt from sticking to the mat?
    I guess I’m just wondering how necessary it is to use it if I’m not going to be appliqueing the felt to anything.

• It helps the felt stick to the mat so it doesn’t just bunch up when the blade hits it. I have never tried it without the Wonder Under on the back, so it might be worth trying. You can always wash your mat in soapy water to get the felt fibers off. I also had someone message me saying that ironing freezer paper onto the back of the felt worked. Then you can just peel it off after. It’s on my list of things to try. :)

14. Thank you for showing us that it is possible to cut felt with the silhouette! I’m going to try this tomorrow. 5 haters? Unbelievable! You get five thumbs up from me!

15. Ruth G says:

Great job with your video! I thought you were fabulous and I’m so thankful that you shared how to cut felt with a Cameo! I love felt and would love to give this a try! Thank you very much for sharing!!!

16. Hi There, I love this Helpful Blog. Question I usually shop at my favorite Craft Store Hobby Lobby. I see that they have Wonder Under but several different kinds such as INT. Heavy Duty White Wonder Under, Medium etc. Which one is the one you use? You can check it out at the Hobby Lobby website also to steer me in the right direction. where would I find the wool blend felt? I have Joanne’s and Micheals in my are as well!

Thanks!

17. Erika Hayes says:

Just so you know. There is no difference in the fabric and regular blade. Silhouette uses the blue casing is only used so that the user knows which one s/he has used on fabric. The blades themselves are no different.

18. Where do you get your wool blend felt?