Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt

One of the best parts about summer… WATERMELON!  When we were little, we used to tease each other that if you swallowed a black watermelon seed, a watermelon would grow in your stomach.  I may or may not have carried that tradition over to my own kids… shhhh.  Anyway, in honor of summer, I made this cute watermelon skirt for Leah.  And you’ll never guess how I made it!  It’s a tea towel that I made into a skirt and they dip dyed!

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

I’ve never dyed anything before because I always assumed it would be too difficult.  My friend, Tori, over at Lil Mrs Tori dip dyed these adorable tea towels for 4th of July and inspired me to give it a try.   It wasn’t hard at all!

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!I love how it looks!

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Like I said, I made it with a flour sack tea towel!  I love making skirts like this because there is no hemming required!  Plus, if we’re ever out and about and need a mess cleaned up, we can just use Leah’s skirt!  ;)

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Head over to this tutorial for instructions on how to make the skirt.  This method is best for up to age 3-4 -ish since you can’t make it longer.  It will depend on how tall your child is.  I have tall kids.

Make a skirt out of a tea towel!

To make this dip dye skirt, you’ll also need:

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Follow the instructions on the bottle to mix a dye bath.  I boiled water on my stove to make it extra hot and added salt to the bath to help the color take.  You can buy smaller bottles than the ones I got, especially if you are only making one skirt.

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Gather the bottom of the skirt and dip the top of the skirt in the dye bath leaving a few inches out.  Hold it there for about 10 minutes.  Keep in mind that it will be lighter after it’s washed and dried.

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Make sure you grabbed those bottom skirt folds really well or you’ll end up with this.  OOPS!  I was able to fix it with a little bit of watered down bleach.  Just sprayed it on the messed up parts and rinsed it well.  Better to have done it right the first time though.

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Rinse your bucket and repeat the process to make a bath with the green dye.  Dip the very bottom of the skirt, leaving some white space between the green and the pink.

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Rinse the the skirt until the water runs clear.  Throw it in the wash by itself and dry in the dryer.

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Use an x-acto knife to cut a teardrop shape into the top of a pencil eraser.  This will be your watermelon seed stamp.

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Put a piece of cardboard or wax paper in between the skirt to keep paint from bleeding through.  Dip the stamp in black fabric paint and stamp seeds all over the skirt.

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

Leah LOVES watermelon, so you can bet she is loving her new skirt!

Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt - Made from a flour sack tea towel!

And here are more great ideas for summer from my blogging friends.  Go check ‘em out.   You’ll love their blogs!

5 Fresh Ideas for Summer!

1) Raspberry Floats by Cupcake Diaries
2) Rhinestone Fireworks Shirt by Sugar Tart Crafts
3) Fruit and Veggie Stamps by Homemade Ginger
4) Strawberry-Orange Popsicles by Whistle and Ivy
5) Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt by Cutesy Crafts

Also check out the painted flour sack towel skirt that I made last year!

chevronskirt

And you’ll love this Ruffle Sailboat Skirt too!

Sailboat Skirt

Cutesy Crafts is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post contains affiliate links.

Share it!Email this to someoneShare on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on StumbleUpon

48 Responses to Dip Dye Watermelon Skirt

1. Rachel says:

I love it!!!

2. Britni says:

Okay so this might be one of the cutest things I’ve seen in forever Jess, and that’s saying a lot since I read a lot of blogs. So cute!

3. This is absolutely adorable, Jessica! I looooove it and want to make one for my little girl stat.

4. Soooo cute! I dip dyed a shirt for St. Patty’s day and was so surprised at how easy it was. This is way cute! The seed stamps are genius!

5. This is just the cutest! And she looks darling in it. Love this idea! Pinned.

6. Jessa says:

This is so cute! I know you hear this a lot – but it’s sooo cute. I really want to make one for myself now. And no, I’m no child ;) but it looks so great.
    Thanks for the inspiration, I’ll pin this.

7. Jennifer says:

Super-cute! I was thinking it might be easier to stamp the seeds on before seeing the skirt, while the towels are still laying flat – then dying over the paint. That should work, right?

• Thanks, Jennifer. It definitely would be easier to stamp the seeds while flat. I don’t know how the dye would react to the fabric paint, but maybe you can find someone online who has dyed over paint successfully.

8. Toni says:

Awesome job Jess! This has got to be one of the cutest skirts I’ve seen all summer! I really need to try dyeing more of my projects – It looks so fun!

9. Stopping by from Take A Look Tuesday. Absolutely adore this! I have to make this for my daughter asap. Thanks for sharing.

10. By far one of the cutest skirts I have ever seen Jessica! Thanks for sharing at The Makers!

11. Jessica this is so cute! I want to make one for myself! I loved it so much I just had to feature you this week on the Creative Spark Link Party! Thanks for linking up hope to see you back this week! http://bit.ly/1vvIGjo

12. Beth says:

This is such a cute idea! Where did you get the white skirt from! I will be making this for my little girl! Thanks!

13. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts – you were featured today!! – – Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

14. Kristy gd says:

This. is. amazing. It’s super cute! Now I want to make one! Hmm… I wonder if Julie’s little girl is old enough for skirts yet?

15. OMG! This is so cute Jessica!!! I love watermelon and this idea is just perfect!! Thanks for the tutorial, I will be making one for sure…for my little cousin or for me??…both! :) Thanks!

16. Lydia says:

I can’t get over how adorable this skirt is! So fantastic! You are being featured this week over at Much Ado About Monday! Thanks so much for linking up with us!! :)

17. Emily says:

oh so cute!!! I love the colors! Shared on FB, and pinned. thanks for linking up to Create Link Inspire. Emily

18. Kelley says:

This is SO adorable!! I think my little girl needs one of these :) Now, if only I knew how to sew…

19. Gena says:

What a wonderful idea!!! I have a bunch of little princesses :) who would love, love, love that skirt. Thank you for the great idea! Gena – ILikeBigButtons.com

20. Javeriya says:

This is so cute and perfect for summers!

21. Adorable! Love it. I am crafting as well (mainly paper) but seeing your project I will do it. Thanks for inspiration.

22. RobyGiup says:

Love, love, LOVE this skirt!!!!!

23. Lynne Johnson says:

These were so cute! I made three for our glamping trailer trip. My two grand daughters and I loved them! Since I needed larger sizes I bought white fabric with a similar texture. I also carved the watermelon stamp from a large pink eraser. The projects went well and were cool and cute too.Thanks for such an adorable idea!